Hey guys! Happy Hump Day. I hope that you are geared up to get through the rest of this work week. I unfortunately came home earlier today to find that my puppy chewed a lovely hole in my flooring. So yay for that. I called the maintenance team here with no answer. Oh my… I’ll keep you guys updated on the status of this disaster.
Meanwhile I needed something to bake to get me in a good mindset again. So I made this sweet potato bread that I’ve been meaning to try. This is the original recipe. In my quest to cut more sugar out of my diet though (and eat healthier all around), I decide to alter it a little bit to my own liking. Side note, did you know guys know that The American Heart Association only recommends consuming 24 grams of sugar a day for women? Although most Americans consume 120 grams on average! Just my little health plug for today.
To adjust this recipe I first took out all processed sugars and added natural ones like dates and real maple syrup. Then I took out all the white flour and added whole wheat. I also cut the size of the recipe down, because even natural sugar is still sugar and I didn’t want a lot of sweets lying around. Added some pecans for a little texture and healthy fats, and just like that you have a healthier alternative to this delicious recipe!
Cinnamon Sweet Potato Bread
1 medium sweet potato, cubed and cooked
2 teaspoons of water from your dates (I’ll explain)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
2 Tablespoons of yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup of dried dates (about 6 pieces)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
pinch salt, optional
1/4 cup of chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8×4 loaf pan.
- Fill a cup of hot water and put your dates in it to soften them. Leave them in for about 5 minutes.
- Put your cooked sweet potatoes, your oil, and your softened dates, and 2 teaspoons of the water from soaking your dates into a food processor. If you forget to use the water from your dates or your cat knocked over the cup or something, no big deal. I just used it because I like not to waste and I can get more of that date sweetness in there. Process that up until it’s nice and smooth. You may still have some small pieces of dates. No worries. They’re cool.
- Put your sweet potato/date mixture into your mixing bowl, and make sure it has cooled down so that your eggs don’t cook when you add them (hint hint as to what the next step will be).
- Add your eggs to the mix! Mix at a medium speed and scrape the sides down until the eggs are fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl mix together your flour, baking soda, and spices. Add this dry mix to the egg/sweet potato in the bowl and mix to incorporate.
- Finally, once your batter is fully blended add your pecans in and give it one more stir. You can add more or less pecans based on however your feeling that day about it.
- Pour batter into your already greased loaf pan and place in the oven
- Bake bread for about 15 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and there’s no sign of batter.
- Eat with a little butter or all on it’s own. You could even spread cream cheese over it or a little frosting if you weren’t concerned about sugar and wanted to make it more like a cake. Enjoy!
Blue Cow approves of this. See you guys next time!
The Navy Wife xoxo